1/2 Photos of Feta Cheese Souffles with Salad
This is a delicious way to begin (or end - depending on whether you serve dinner in the North American or European manner) any meal and very handy as it incorporates both cheese and salad courses.;-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup fine fresh breadcrumb
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 8 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons minced sun-dried tomatoes (packed in oil and drained)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 7 large egg whites
- salad greens, for 8 people tossed with
- your favourite vinaigrette
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Butter 8, ½ cup ramekins and coat well with breadcrumbs, knocking out excess and reserving.
- 3In a medium saucepan, melt butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour.
- 4Cook roux, whisking constantly, for 3 minutes.
- 5Add milk in a stream, whisking.
- 6Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- 7In a large bowl, whisk together ¾ cup cheese, milk mixture, yolks, sun-dried tomatoes, dill, and season to taste (careful the feta is already quite salty!).
- 8Beat whites until they hold stiff peaks.
- 9Stir half of whites into cheese mixture to lighten and fold in remainder, gently but thoroughly.
- 10Fill each ramekin halfway with soufflé mixture and divide remaining cheese among ramekins.
- 11Fill with remaining soufflé mixture and sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- 12Put ramekins in a large baking pan and add enough hot water to reach halfway up sides of ramekins.
- 13Bake in middle of oven until golden-brown, about 25 minutes.
- 14Remove and let stand in pan 15 minutes.
- 15Run a knife around edge of soufflés and invert onto a baking sheet.
- 16(may be prepared up to 1 ½ hours in advance and kept at room temperature, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 6 hours, no more, bring to room temperature before continuing).
- 17Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- 18Bake in middle of oven until puffed and golden-brown, 5-7 minutes.
- 19Divide salad among 8 salad plates and put one soufflé atop each plate of greens.
- 20Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Feta Cheese Souffles with Salad
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 234.6
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 110.6 mg
- Sodium 561.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 11.5 g