This is great. Like a wonderful, vegetarian sandwich. A salad and a glass of wine and you've got a meal!
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup plain yogurt, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour (or more)
- 10 ounces feta, crumbled
- 2⁄3 cup chopped pitted kalamata olive
- 2⁄3 cup chopped mint leaf
- 2⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2⁄3 cup chopped green onion
- For dough: Sprinkle yeast and sugar over ¼ cup warm water in large bowl and proof (let stand until foamy).
- Mix remaining ¾ cup water and yoghurt into yeast mixture.
- Add 2 tblsps oil and 1 tsp salt.
- Mix in flour, ½ cup at a time.
- Knead until dough is smooth and elastic, adding more flour if dough is sticky, about 8 minutes.
- Lightly oil large bowl, add dough, turning to coat.
- Cover with damp cloth and let rise in warm, draft-free area until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200C).
- For filling: Lightly oil 13 inch pizza pan.
- Turn dough out onto lightly-floured surface.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll one piece out to ¼ inch thick round.
- Transfer to pan.
- Sprinkle filling ingredients over, leaving ½ inch border all around.
- Roll out remaining dough.
- Place over filling.
- Press edges to seal and press dough down to flatten slightly.
- Bake bread until top is light brown, about 25-30 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
yum. Very rich and flavorful. But, man, is it rich! My store didn't have enough plain feta, so I used plain and feta w/basil and tomatoe. It was very good. DH and the neighbors think so, too!
I loved it! I am fairly new to breadmaking, and this was the first bread-related recipe I've made that's turned out. I made up to step 3 by hand, then used the breadmaker on dough setting to finish up. It rose like crazy too! (My breads have never done that) The mix was lovely, I added half a smoked chicked breast fillet too. The dough rolled out easily and was lovely to handle. Great recipe.