My Private Note
As a fu ...
Units: US | Metric
- 2 onions, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped finely
- 2 tablespoons butter (I use sweet butter for all recipes and add sea salt to taste)
- 1 lb ground beef (I use extra lean and add some oil in it so it won't be dry)
- 1/2 cup white basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon dried mint (substitute, 2 tablespoons fresh mint chopped)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts (optional, I have yet to try with them)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) jar grape leaves
- 1 dash good olive oil
- 3 cups chicken broth (I use homemade)
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1Remove grape leaves from the jar and open up leaves into casserole dish or equivalent. Unroll somewhat and pour over some cool tap water to soak a little.
- 2Meanwhile sauté onions and celery in 1 tablespoon butter, until soft.
- 3In a large bowl add ground beef, onion and celery, rice, mint, parsley, pine nuts if using, sea salt & freshly ground pepper to taste, mix well.
- 4Remove one leaf (the bigger the better) and place onto a flat surface; with the shiny side down.
- 5Place a small amount of the filling toward the stem side of the leaf and then roll up (you may see a demo of how to here, http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=250725 yet I like to remove the stem if they are not already removed).
- 6Add a dash olive oil to the bottom of a pot and line with some of the riped or not so good looking grape leaves. Place the finished dolmas one by one in a single close to each other layer in the pot. Make the next layer in the opposite direction and so on.
- 7Add chicken stock, juice of the lemon and remaining tablespoon of butter.
- 8In order to prevent the grape leaves from opening up during cooking, place a small plate on top of the grape leaves and press down.
- 9Then cover and bring to a boil.
- 10Lower heat and simmer covered for about 1 hour.
- 11While cooking make the Yogurt Sauce. To do this mix the Yogurt sauce ingredients well and add sea salt to taste.
- 12Serve dolmas warm spooning sauce on top as desired.
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Flavourful Dolmas
Serving Size: 1 (541 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 566.8
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.6 g
- Cholesterol 100.3 mg
- Sodium 2364.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 38.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 33.1 g