My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs fresh apricots
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup aromatic honey, such as Hymettus (to taste)
- 3 eggs, seperated
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons samos liqueur
- ice cream
- toasted slivered almonds
- borage fresh edible flowers, decorative fresh edible flower or other fragrant decorative fresh edible flower
- 1Fill a large saucepan with water and bring to a boil.
- 2Drop apricots in boiling water, remove saucepan from heat, count to 3, then carefully remove with slotted spoon.
- 3Peel with a small paring knife. Cut each one in half and discard the pits.
- 4If they are not quite ripe, bring 1/2 cup water to a boil in a heavy saucepan, add the apricots, and simmer 5 minutes.
- 5Drain and reserve liquid.
- 6Process the apricots til smooth in a food processor with a plastic blade.
- 7Add the vanilla and most of the honey.
- 8Add the remainig honey to taste, and add some of the reserved cooking liquid, if necessary, to produce a mixture the consistentcy of heavy cream.
- 9Place 1 cup of this puree in a non-reactive bowl. Tightly cover and refrigerate.
- 10Whisk egg yolks until thick. Gradually add remaining puree, whisking constantly.
- 11Transfer to a small heavy saucepan or the top of a double boiler set, over hot water.
- 12Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon- about 5 minutes.
- 13Immediately transfer to a bowl.
- 14Let cool.
- 15Whisk in heavy cream until slightly thickened.
- 16Whisk in the cool custard.
- 17Transfer to an ice cream machine and freeze according to manufacturer's directions.
- 18When the mixture is almost frozen, whisk the egg whites until they hold soft peaks, fold into the custard,and freeze until firm.
- 19Add the liqueur to the reserved puree.
- 20Stir in honey to taste, if desired, and add some of the reserved juice or water, if necessary, to give it a pouring consistency.
- 21To serve:.
- 22Spoon the sauce onto chilled plates.
- 23Place small scoops of ice cream in the center of sauce.
- 24Sprinkle with toasted almonds and blossoms.
- 25Serve immediately.
- 27You can also freeze this in the freezer. Pour the cooled custard into metal pans and freeze, stirring occasionally, until almost firm. Whisk the egg whites until they hold firm peaks and fold them into the custard until thoroughly combined. Freeze until firm.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fragrant Apricot Ice Cream (Verikoka Pagota Aromatika)
Serving Size: 1 (253 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 320.4
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 146.5 mg
- Sodium 48.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 29.7 g
- Protein 5.9 g