These are fantastic! Vegetarians/Lovers of vegetables (and cheese) will be very, very happy. The prep time includes 1/2 an hour of salting and draining the eggplant.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium flask eggplants, cut into round, 1/2 inch slices
- 1 large green pepper, cut in small cubes
- 1 large red pepper, cut in small cubes
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- flour (for dredging)
- breadcrumbs (for dredging)
- olive oil, and
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- basil leaves (to garnish)
- 1Lightly salt the eggplant rounds and put them in a colander to drain.
- 2Mash together ricotta, cream cheese and Parmesan with a fork.
- 3Mix in the all the pepper cubes.
- 4Season lightly with salt and generously with freshly ground pepper.
- 5Spread the cheese mixture evenly on half the eggplant slices and close with remaining slices, making a ‘sandwich’.
- 6Heat approximately 1 ½- 2 inches oil in large skillet.
- 7Put flour on a plate and on another, the breadcrumbs.
- 8Dip the ‘sandwiches’ first in the flour, then in the beaten egg, and finally in the breadcrumbs.
- 9Fry until golden-brown, turning over when bottom side is done.
- 10Drain on paper toweling.
- 11Serve hot with Basil Sauce.
- 12To make Basil Sauce: Combine all sauce ingredients; season to taste.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Eggplant (Aubergine) 'sandwiches'
Serving Size: 1 (386 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 441.3
- Calories from Fat 250
- Total Fat 27.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 191.9 mg
- Sodium 413.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 23.9 g