1/4 Photos of Fried Olives
A great meze to have on hand to nibble at while sipping ouzo or wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb green pitted olives or 1/2 lb green olives, with pits
- 1 red onion, peeled and minced
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 slices good-quality ham, minced (optional)
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
For the coating
- 1If using unpitted olives, pit them with an olive pitter (or cherry pitter) to keep them intact.
- 2Place the onion, garlic, ham, parsley, olive oil and cayenne in a food processor and pulse on and off until everything is pureed and very creamy and smooth.
- 3Remove to a bowl.
- 4Using a pastry bag outfitted with a nozzle small enough to fit into the cavity opening of the olive, stuff each olive with the filling.
- 5Spread the flour onto one plate and the breadcrumbs onto another.
- 6Heat about half an inch of olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 7Roll the olives in the flour, then in the egg, and finally into the breadcrumbs.
- 8Fry until the breadcrumbs have turned golden.
- 9Remove, place on paper towels to drain momentarily and serve.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Olives
Serving Size: 1 (91 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 267.8
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 614.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 5.8 g