Prep 50 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a custard desert from Greece posted for the ZWT II 2006 taken from a little cookbook my late DM purchased at the Local Greek Festival written by members of the local Greek Orthodox Church here.
- 3 quarts milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 1⁄2 cups farina or 1 1⁄2 cups cream of wheat
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 12 large eggs
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- lemon slice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Bring milk to a boil and gradually add farina or cream of wheat, stirring constantly.
- Add 1 cube of butter and the sugar while stirring.
- Continue to stir so as not to burn on the bottom.
- When mixture thickens, remove pan from burner and cool.
- Beat eggs well, and slowly add to cooled mixture, stirring while adding, and then add vanilla.
- To Assemble, melt remaining butter.
- In a 12x18-inch pan, lightly buttered, place one full sheet of phyllo dough and brush with melted butter.
- Repeat this process until half of the phyllo dough is used.
- Carefully pour the cooled mixture over buttered phyllo layers.
- Place remaining phyllo layers over filling, buttering each sheet as before.
- Tuck in edges and score.
- Bake at 350°F approximately 1 hour.
- Custard should be set and top layer should be golden brown.
- Put Syrup ingredients in a saucepan and bring mixture to a boil.
- Continue to boil until syrup is slightly thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cool and very slowly pour over warm Galaktoboureko.
- After the Galaktoboureko has absorbed all the syrup, cut into squares and serve.