2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This is a custard desert from Greece posted for the ZWT II 2006 taken from a little cookbook my late DM purchased at the Local Greek Festival written by members of the local Greek Orthodox Church here.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 quarts milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- 1 1/2 cups farina or 1 1/2 cups cream of wheat
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 12 large eggs
- 1 lb unsalted butter
- 2Bring milk to a boil and gradually add farina or cream of wheat, stirring constantly.
- 3Add 1 cube of butter and the sugar while stirring.
- 4Continue to stir so as not to burn on the bottom.
- 5When mixture thickens, remove pan from burner and cool.
- 6Beat eggs well, and slowly add to cooled mixture, stirring while adding, and then add vanilla.
- 7To Assemble, melt remaining butter.
- 8In a 12x18-inch pan, lightly buttered, place one full sheet of phyllo dough and brush with melted butter.
- 9Repeat this process until half of the phyllo dough is used.
- 10Carefully pour the cooled mixture over buttered phyllo layers.
- 11Place remaining phyllo layers over filling, buttering each sheet as before.
- 12Tuck in edges and score.
- 13Bake at 350°F approximately 1 hour.
- 14Custard should be set and top layer should be golden brown.
- 16Put Syrup ingredients in a saucepan and bring mixture to a boil.
- 17Continue to boil until syrup is slightly thickened, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 18Cool and very slowly pour over warm Galaktoboureko.
- 19After the Galaktoboureko has absorbed all the syrup, cut into squares and serve.
Nutritional Facts for Galaktoboureko
Serving Size: 1 (157 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.3
- Calories from Fat 140
- Total Fat 15.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 109.0 mg
- Sodium 125.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 19.6 g
- Protein 6.5 g