1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was entrusted to me by my Friend Liv's Greek Grandmother. It's a little tricky to make but very worth it in the end
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a deep saucepan, heat milk and semolina, stirring constantly until it reaches the boiling point.
- 2Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- 3In a bowl, beat eggs and sugar until fluffy.
- 4Add the semolina mixture.
- 5Add 1/2-cup of the melted butter and lemon rind; blend well.
- 6Place 8 phyllo sheets in a buttered 13 x 9-inch baking pan, BRUSHING EACH sheet generously with melted butter.
- 7Allow phyllo to extend up sides of pan.
- 8Spread filling evenly over phyllo; fold overhanging phyllo over the filling and brush with butter.
- 9Cover with 8 buttered phyllo sheets, which have been trimmed to fit pan.
- 10With a sharp knife, score only through the top phyllo layers making 4 equal rows, lengthwise.
- 11Sprinkle a few drops of cold water over top.
- 12Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
- 13Drizzle cold syrup over hot pastry.
- 14Return to oven for 5 minutes.
- 15Let stand 2 hours before serving.
- 16Cut into diamonds or squares.
- 17Galaktoboureko is best served the day it is made. Refrigerate any leftovers. This tends to get a bit soggy after a couple days.
Nutritional Facts for Galaktoboureko
Serving Size: 1 (104 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.4
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 67.2 mg
- Sodium 147.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 29.2 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: