According to Paula Wolfert, this is served in seafood restaurants along the harbor in this area outside of Athens.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a skillet, over medium heat, cook the onion in the olive oil until soft and golden.
- Add the garlic, tomato sauce, wine, half the parsley, salt and pepper to taste and the cayenne.
- Cook at a simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring frequently (the sauce should be rather thick).
- Meanwhile, peel and devein shrimp.
- Put shrimp, sauce and cheese in a shallow baking dish, cover and bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with remaining parsley and serve hot.
A delicious version of Shrimp Sahanaki (or Saganaki). I used 2 cloves of garlic and subbed ouzo for the wine (it's a great sub in this particular recipe). Served with lots of crusty bread to mop up sauce with.
I wish I could give this more than five stars. This was fantastic!! Made for ZWT4.
Well Chef Kate, Had this, died, went to Heaven and came back for more of this wonderful dish! Thank you! Living in Florida we have plenty of shrimp, and finding new ways to cook it are always welcome. This was so nice and "summery" tasting. I can't wait to make it again! Made for ZWT4