This recipe from Greek With Gusto uses a simple to prepare Greek Tomato Sauce (Saltsa Domata) Optional - Add 1 Tbsp ouzo or brandy to the tomato sauce before spooning it over the shrimp!
Greek Tomato Sauce (use 3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb medium shrimp or 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon ouzo (optional) or 1 tablespoon brandy (optional)
- Greek Tomato Sauce:.
- In a skillet, heat olive oil and sauté onion and garlic until onion is tender. Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, wine and ground pepper. Simmer 15 minutes (or longer if a thicker sauce is desired).
- Shrimp dish:.
- Peel and devein shrimp. Wash, pat dry and sprinkle with lemon juice. Divide shrimp and place into 4 individual casseroles.
- (Add optional ouzo or brandy to tomato sauce) Spoon tomato sauce over the shrimp in each dish. Top with crumbled feta, followed by a sprinkling of parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered in a preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.
This was good, I used it as an appetizer. I didn't have any ouzo, so I used Sambucca. I was tempted to add calamatas to it, but my DH hates olives so I refrained. Thank you for posting it!
We love Greek food and this was really good. The aroma in the house from the garlic and feta was divine! This is a keeper.
Absolutely wonderful! Next time I'd add more shrimp as 1 lb wasn't really enough. I substituted chicken broth for the wine as I didn't have any on hand, and I think it turned out just fine. Served with some rice and a salad, this makes a fantastic meal! Thanks for posting. Made for ZWT4.