2 hrs 30 mins
Being part Greek, I adore the flavor of lamb shanks with mint and oregano, rather than rosemary. Being lazy, I prefer this recipe to the more time- and work-intensive leg of lamb. This is a fairly rich dish that's easier than it looks, and is perfectly suited to cooler weather and cooks who are watching their budgets (lamb shanks are much less expensive than legs of lamb, freeze well, and you can easily double or triple the recipe). We like this with a tangy green salad with a simple lemon, garlic, and olive oil dressing, crusty bread, red wine, and maybe a side of pasta with parmesan or mizithra (greek grating) cheese if we're really hungry. Opa!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Trim most visible fat from shanks.
- 2Cut slits 1/2" wide and deep all over shanks, as many as possible.
- 3Stuff garlic cloves into slits, lengthening or deepening them as needed.
- 4Drizzle or rub extra virgin olive oil over shanks, trying to get the oil into the slits with the garlic.
- 5(Recipe may be made in advance to this point. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day) Put shanks in a broiler-safe pan (I use a low rack in a pyrex dish) and broil on both sides until meat sizzles and browns, about 6- 7 minutes per side.
- 6Remove shanks from oven, and turn it down to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 7Pour red wine over shanks, and distribute 1 T each mint and oregano over both sides of each shank.
- 8Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- 9Cover pan with aluminum foil, return to oven, and bake for approximately 2 to 2 1/2 hours, basting every 40 minutes or so.
- 10When done, you can pour drippings into small pan and boil until slightly thickened while lamb rests, to serve alongside.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garlic Lovers' Greek Lamb Shanks
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 737.4
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 242.1 mg
- Sodium 189.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 73.6 g