Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
A very garlicky chicken souvlaki, the recipe comes from an old friend's greek mother (he had to translate it for me.) It disappears very fast - and no vampires allowed!
- 2 lbs chicken breasts or 2 lbs pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 10 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed is best
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste (optional I don't usually add it)
- Combine everything but chicken or pork, and whisk well. Place chicken in a seal able container, and marinate overnight to 24 hours.
- Soak skewers 30 minutes in water (so they won’t burn.).
- Skewer meat.
- BBQ or bake in oven until done (oven is 375 for 30-40 minutes.).
The lovely tastes of both lemon and garlic were front and center on the chicken! I marinaded the chicken chunks for 4 hours and still had lots of flavor. Served with [recipe=#32448]spanakopita[/recipe]; I think next time I'll add in a side of buttered noodles, too!
Yummy! I've been looking for some new grilling recipes now that it's that season and this one was a keeper. My husband loves garlic so he especially liked it. I made exactly as directed except didn't marinate it for quite as long. Thanks for posting!
We made the pork version and grilled em till the thunderstorm started pouring down. We had to grab everything off the grill and finish them off in the oven. For the souvlaki, we broiled them rather than bake. The flavor is wonderful and went great with Scallion Butter Sauce Grilled Inside the Corn Husk. The only change we made was to use McCormicks mediterranean spiced sea salt (for the s/p oregano) and to marinade the meat for just 2 hrs. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)