1/1 Photo of Gigantes (Greek Giant Baked Beans)
2 hrs 30 mins
Butter Beans are most similar to our 'gigantes' (giants). If any of you have access to an ethnic Greek grocery, go and get the real thing - you'll love them!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb dried butter beans (soaked overnight) or 1 lb dried lima beans (soaked overnight)
- 1 large onion, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice (concasse)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large carrots, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery & leaves, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 lb bacon, chopped (or 6 oz. bacon and 6 oz good quality pork sausage, cut up) (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- enough hot water, to cover beans by 1 inch
- 1Cook the pre-soaked beans in a pressure cooker, with enough water to cover by one inch, for 20 minutes and allow to sit, undisturbed, for 2-3 hours before proceeding with recipe.
- 2Tip the beans into a large baking pan.
- 3Add all of the remaining ingredients, except the dill, and stir well to distribute.
- 4Pour over enough hot water to cover beans by 1".
- 5Place pan in oven and set oven to 400°F.
- 6Bake for 2 hours. Check, if you like your beans more tender, cook them a half hour longer.
- 7Stir dill in for last 15 minutes of baking.
- 8There will still be plenty of juices in the pan, but these will be absorbed by the beans and thicken as the beans cool.
- 9Like nearly all bean recipes, these only improve the next day, and the day after next.
- 10In Greece, these beans would constitute the main, 'vegetarian' meal and would not include the bacon, which is my own addition. We often eat meatless, especially when we're fasting. With or without the bacon or sausage, this is good eating, especially with a big chunk of sharp feta cheese on the side to nibble on between bites of beans and slurps of sauce and some good, honest, crusty bread to clean your plate up with. :-).
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gigantes (Greek Giant Baked Beans)
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 417.8
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 162.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.1 g
- Sugars 9.9 g
- Protein 13.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon cubes