This is best when made several days before eaten. Put on top of salad greens, or on mixed with hot rice. You may use canned chick peas for this. I got this from an old notebook which I had written recipes in a long time ago. I suspect it comes from Moosewood cookbook. Prep time does not include cooking of chickpeas.
- 3 cups dried garbanzo beans, soaked at least 4 hours, cooked till tender, 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours (or use 4-4 1/2 cups canned)
- 5 -6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 -2 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 -2 tablespoon finely minced gingerroot
- 2 -3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup finely minced red onion
- fresh ground black pepper
- Rinse and drain completely cooked chickpeas.
- Combine everything, mix well, cover tightly and let marinate.(will last for up to 2 months).
- Stir from the bottom occasionally during marinating.
- Makes about 5 cups. Enjoy!