1 hr 30 mins
Greek lamb and rice meatballs in a creamy lemon sauce. Warning for leftovers: Sauce will not keep more than a day or two. The meatballs are still good on their own so I store seperately.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 slices whole wheat bread (crusts removed, soaked in milk & squeezed dry)
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb or 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup rice (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 2 tablespoons celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried mint flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 quarts water or 2 quarts chicken stock
- 1Put bread and ground beef in a bowl, and mix and knead thoroughly.
- 2Add rice, parsley, celery, mint, oregano, olive oil, salt, and pepper, and mix well.
- 3In a soup kettle, bring about 2 qt water to a furious boil.
- 4Keeping the water boiling, shape the meat into little round balls (about the size of walnuts) and gently drop them into the boiling water.
- 5Continue boiling for about 1/2 hour, and then set aside.
- 6Beat the whites of 3 eggs until frothy, but not stiff and shiny.
- 7Constantly beating, add the yolks until well mixed.
- 8Still beating add the lemon juice drop by drop.
- 9Bring butter and broth to a boil.
- 10Add this to the egg-lemon mixture, beating continuously.
- 11Place over VERY low heat, stirring in a S or X pattern (stirring round& round will cause sauce to curdle) until froth is almost broken down and sauce thickens.
- 12Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Giouvarlakia Avgolemono (Rice Meatballs in Egg-Lemon Sauce)
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 493.9
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 198.9 mg
- Sodium 818.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 24.4 g