Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I really tasty gryo with tzatziki sauce. Cooking/preparation time does not include 2 hours of refrigeration time for meatloaf.
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 whole gyro-style pita bread (6 inches)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 16 slices tomatoes
- 8 slices sweet onions, halved
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the egg, garlic, oregano, kosher salt and pepper. Crumble lamb and beef over mixture; mix well.
- Pat into an ungreased 9-x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 60-70 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°F.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Brush pita breads with 1 tablespoon oil; heat on a lightly greased griddle for 1 minute on each side. Keep warm.
- Cut meatloaf into very thin slices. In a large skillet, fry meatloaf in remaining oil in batches until crisp.
- On each pita bread, layer tomato, onion and meatloaf slices; top with some tzatziki sauce.
- Carefully fold pitas in half.
- Serve with remaining sauce.
This is an excellent gyro recipe. I put it in the cuisinart to mix it all up, pressed it in a loaf pan and when it was done baking I drained it and put a brick wrapped in foil on top of it while it cooled (idea from Alton Brown). Sliced it and fried it up. They were delicious.
This was excellent. I made it pretty much as stated and served it with a greek salad (Kittencal's Famous Greek Salad). We only ate half of the meatloaf, I froze the other half. We'll see how it is after the freezer! Thanks
I usually make a chicken gyro recipe that i found here but also love the traditional lamb meat, i stumbled across this recipe when i was searching for a friend and holy cow, this was great! Very quick and easy to put together, thanks for a keeper in this household.