1/2 Photos of Grecian Meatloaf Gyros
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Sassy in da South's Note:
I really tasty gryo with tzatziki sauce. Cooking/preparation time does not include 2 hours of refrigeration time for meatloaf.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 lb ground beef
- 8 whole gyro-style pita bread (6 inches)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 16 slices tomatoes
- 8 slices sweet onions, halved
- 1In a large bowl, combine the egg, garlic, oregano, kosher salt and pepper. Crumble lamb and beef over mixture; mix well.
- 2Pat into an ungreased 9-x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- 3Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 60-70 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°F.
- 4Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 5Refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- 6For sauce, in a small bowl, combine the yogurt, cucumber, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- 7Brush pita breads with 1 tablespoon oil; heat on a lightly greased griddle for 1 minute on each side. Keep warm.
- 8Cut meatloaf into very thin slices. In a large skillet, fry meatloaf in remaining oil in batches until crisp.
- 9On each pita bread, layer tomato, onion and meatloaf slices; top with some tzatziki sauce.
- 10Carefully fold pitas in half.
- 11Serve with remaining sauce.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grecian Meatloaf Gyros
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 545.7
- Calories from Fat 265
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 110.3 mg
- Sodium 891.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 28.2 g