1 hr 25 mins
These look nice and are delicious according to all who have tried them including DH who supposedly hates walnuts. I suggest looking at photos on Google if you have never seen these before trying to prepare them. Modified from a recipe on http://greekfood.about.com
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb kataifi pastry, unfrozen per package instructions (may not be halal if contains lecithin, found in Greek and some Middle Eastern shops)
- 1 lb butter, melted (may use less but it's always good to have enough!)
- 1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup almonds, coarsely ground (loz)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1Preheat oven to 350F (175C).
- 2Prepare syrup:.
- 3Heat the water in a saucepan over low heat. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve.
- 4Add the lemon juice, peel, and cloves, and bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 6Stir in the honey, remove from the heat, strain, and set aside to cool.
- 7Prepare filling:.
- 8In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for the filling and blend well with a wooden spoon.
- 9A word about kataïfi dough:.
- 10This dough comes commercially packaged in a long strip, about 3 inches wide. To prepare it for this recipe, lay the long strip out on a clean work surface and divide it into 18-24 pieces, gently spreading the strands out a bit if they clump together. Each piece will be used to create an individual kataïfi roll. Keep unused dough covered with a piece of waxed paper and a damp towel on top of that to keep it from drying out.
- 11Brush a strip with melted butter.
- 12Place a tablespoon of the filling at one end of the strip and roll up into a cylinder, tucking in any stray pieces of dough. Take care to roll the pastry tightly so that the filling is securely enclosed.
- 13Place the rolls seam side down in a lightly buttered baking dish, close together but not squashed, and brush well with butter. Bake for 45-60 minutes, until golden brown and crispy looking.
- 14Remove from oven, pour cool syrup over the pastry and cover with a clean towel. Let cool about 3-4 hours as it absorbs the syrup.
Browse Our Top Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Crusts/Pastry Dough Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Almond and Walnut Kataifi
Serving Size: 1 (64 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.6
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 54.2 mg
- Sodium 211.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
- Sugars 29.2 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: