Rose water, a distillation made from rose petals, blesses these cookies with a distinctive fragrant, floral flavor.
- In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the 1 cup powdered sugar.
- Beat until mixture is fluffy and light in color, scraping side of bowl occasionally.
- Beat in egg yolks, brandy, and vanilla until combined.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour and almonds until well mixed.
- Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Dip the bottom of a glass in additional powdered sugar and flatten each ball to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12 to 14 minutes or until set.
- Transfer cookies to a wire rack.
- While warm, lightly brush the cookies with rose water (if desired) and sprinkle with additional powdered sugar.
- Cool completely on wire rack.
- Makes about 84 cookies.
- TO STORE:
- Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.