Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Posted for Zaar World Tour II. From Cooking Light. Greek Baking Powder Pie Crust was previously posted by fluffernutter. Cook time does NOT include making crust.
- 1 (10 inch) pie crusts (see Greek Baking Powder Pie Crust)
- cooking spray
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 lb fresh asparagus
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup shredded gruyere or 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated fresh parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Press Greek Baking-Powder Piecrust into a 10-inch quiche dish coated with cooking spray.
- Combine eggs and egg whites in a medium bowl; beat well with a whisk. Brush 2 tablespoons egg mixture over crust; set remaining egg mixture aside. Bake for 7 minutes; cool on a wire rack.
- Snap off tough ends of asparagus; remove scales with a knife or vegetable peeler, if desired. Cut asparagus into 5-inch pieces. Steam asparagus, covered, 5 minutes or until tender. Rinse under cold water. Drain well; set aside.
- Add skim milk and remaining ingredients to remaining egg mixture in bowl, and beat well. Pour into prepared crust. Arrange steamed asparagus spokelike in egg mixture, alternating stems and tips.
- Bake tart at 375° for 35 minutes or until a knife inserted near center of tart comes out clean.
This was really quite nice. I added some spring onions instead of the chives, and oven-roasted the asparagus. The crust is different, but it's nice and crispy - my 3-year-old was able to pick it up and eat like a slice of pizza. I will definitely make this again, with whatever vegetables I have on hand.