1 hr 30 mins
This is a fantastic baklava recipe I created from the best of several other recipes. It makes a 9x12 pan...or you can break it into two smaller pans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of (zest in strip to remove later)
- 1 orange, zest of (in strip to remove later)
- 2 cups walnuts, finely ground
- 1 cup almonds, finely ground
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1In a small saucepan, combine syrup ingredients.
- 2Bring to a slow boil, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved.
- 3Cook over a medium heat for 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- 4Remove rinds and allow to come to room temperature before using.
- 5Combine nut filling ingredients together in a bowl.
- 6Brush bottom and sides of a 9x12 inch pan generously with melted butter. (I like to line the pan with parchment paper for easier removal.).
- 7Place 8 phyllo sheets on bottom of pan, brushing each sheet with butter.
- 8Take an additional 4 sheets of phyllo and place in pan allowing sheets to drape over each of the 4 sides of the pan.
- 9Brush these with melted butter.
- 10Pour 1/2 the nut mixture into pan and spread evenly.
- 11Fold over the overlapping phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter, to envelope the nut mixture.
- 12Place 4 phyllo sheets over first nut layer, brushing each sheet with butter.
- 13Take an additional 4 sheets of phyllo and place in pan allowing sheets to drape over each of the 4 sides of the pan.
- 14Brush these with melted butter.
- 15Pour remaining nut mixture into pan and spread evenly.
- 16Fold over the overlapping phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter, to envelope the nut mixture.
- 17Top pastry with 8 (or more) phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter.
- 18Tuck in the buttered phyllo neatly around.
- 19Score through top layers of pastry with a sharp knife making 3 strips lengthwise then cut 8 strips widthwise and then diagonal to form diamond shaped pieces.
- 20Pour remaining melted butter over pastry and lightly sprinkle some water on top too (wet your hand under the tap twice and shake this out over the pastry).
- 21Bake pastry in a 325 degree oven for 30 - 40 minutes, until nicely golden brown.
- 22Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- 23Carefully spoon cool syrup over pastry.
- 24Allow to stand overnight.
- 25Cut through the scored pieces and serve.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Baklava - 9x12 Pan
Serving Size: 1 (56 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 241.4
- Calories from Fat 141
- Total Fat 15.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 80.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 3.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of