I have made this cake many times in the past and always receive raves reviews all around, it's a buttery cake loaded with walnuts then soaked in honey syrup, trust me you will love this cake!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup honey
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (second-lowest oven rack).
- Butter a 9-inch square glass baking pan.
- In a bowl combine flour with baking powder, salt, cinnamon and orange zest; set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter together with 1 cup sugar until fluffy (about 3-4 minutes, no sugar granules should remain).
- Add in eggs and vanilla and beat well to combine.
- Add in flour mixture alternately with milk mixing until just combined.
- Stir in walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared baking pan.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes or until cake tests done.
- Cool for about 20 minutes then slice into diamond shapes.
- Drizzle the honey glaze over the slices.
- For the honey glaze; in a saucepan combine honey, 1 cup sugar and water; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Add in lemon juice and continue to boil for 2 minutes.
- Drizzle over cake.