1 hr 15 mins
This is one soup I love to make in the fall, filling and very comforting.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh marjoram or 2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 8 cups vegetable stock or 8 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 medium carrots, chopped (optional)
- 1 large boiling potato, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon table salt or 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ground black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions and sauté until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add the garlic, parsley, marjoram, and rosemary and sauté for 1 minute.
- 4Add the stock, barley, carrots, if using, potato, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- 5Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer until the barley is nearly tender, about 45 minutes.
- 6Add the milk and heat through.
- 7Remove from the heat.
- 8Gradually stir 1 cup of the soup into the egg yolks, then stir the yolk mixture and parmesan into the soup.
- 9Return to low heat and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes.
- 10Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 337.9
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 7.6 g
- Cholesterol 95.4 mg
- Sodium 567.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 2.4 g
- Protein 11.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: