Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 mins
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 4 large thick pita breads
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- lettuce leaf (for garnish)
- 4 slices tomatoes (for garnish)
- Divide meat into four portions and form into half-moon-shapedpatties to fit on half a pita bread.
- Use a fork to mash the garlic with butter in small bowl; set aside.
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, onion, salt and pepper; cook until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for cooking.
- Spray grill rack withnon-stick cooking spray.
- Cook patties to desired doneness.
- (Can be done in a covered grill. For medium rare, cook about 4 minutes on one side; turn and cook 4 minutes more.) During the last few minutes of cooking, brush one side of each pita with the garlic butter and place, buttered side down, on the outer edges of the grill to toast lightly.
- Place a pita, toasted side up, on a serving plate.
- Place a patty on one half.
- Top patty with 1 tablespoon feta cheese.
- Place part of the mushroom mixture on the other half of pita.
- Repeat to make4 sandwiches.
This recipe is so good we've made it twice since I saved it to my cookbook. To make it a bit easier, we crumbled the ground beef in a frying pan (like taco meat) and cooked it on the stovetop instead of grilling patties. I couldn't find any good thick pita bread so used the pocket bread and brushed the olive oil and garlic on the inside before adding all the toppings. This made the recipe easy enough to make on a work night and the flavors are so delicious it makes my mouth water just to think about it.
No matter how you put these things together, they come out AWESOME! I omitted the mushrooms but other than that made as listed. Great burger recipe to add to my collection!
These were just FANTASTIC! I wasn't so sure about them while we were preparing them but they were so flavorful and juicy. I'm making them again next week for a BBQ with some friends,.