Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
So hearty and delicious.
Make and share this Greek Cabbage Rolls ( Lahanadolmathes) recipe from Food.com.
- 1 head green cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground lamb
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice
- 1 medium fine chopped onion
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup fine chop fresh parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 cups stock or 3 cups water
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 lemon, juice of
- Put large pot of salted water on to boil( not water listed in above ingredients).
- Separate cabbage leaves that peel off easily, for others place remaining head of cabbage to blanch for 5-8 minutes until just par boiled. Set aside.
- Combine meat, rice, onioin, tomatoes, salt, pepper, parsley and 1/2 stick of butter.
- Place about 2 tbsp of filling in the cup of each leaf.
- Fold over edges and roll up.
- Pack cabbages tighly into a casserole.
- Pour on 3 cups water and remaining 1/2 stick of butter cut into pieces.
- Bake covered at 375 for 1 hour or cook over low heat on the stove top for 1-1 1/2 hours until tender.
- Last 1/2 hour of cooking add lemon juice and tomato sauce drizzled over top of rolls.