Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
I love this bread as a snack mid-morning. It satisfies in so many ways. Its texture is more like a savoury biscuit and really good. Olives and feta cheese are perfect companions.
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (sub with sour cream if you can't get the greek yoghurt)
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 5 eggs
- 1 lb feta, crumbled or cut into tiny pieces
- 1 cup kalamata olive, pitted, halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Grease a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Beat eggs, yoghurt and baking powder together.
- Add butter and eggs to mixture and beat well.
- Add feta cheese, olives and flour and knead mixture until dough easily comes off hands Add olive oil.
- Separate dough into 3 equal portions.
- Shape into 3 balls and place on oiled baking sheet.
- Press down with palm, to flatten slightly.
- Sprinkle generously with sesame seeds and press again lightly to make them ‘stick’.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until cheese breads sound hollow when tapped on bottom.
I love greek food, I love kalamata olives, feta, and bread. I love all these things and was really excited about this recipe because there's a bakery in my town that sells olive bread. This didn't live up to expectations for me. It was WAY too salty (the olives, feta, and yogurt did it in), and I didn't care for the dry biscuit texture. Really bummed it didn't work out.
This bread was the perfect addition to the Greek dinner I planned. It had just the right crumbly texture and the olives and feta really came through with a pop! I got three large loafs out of the recipe and stacked them whole in a basket and let people tear off what they wanted. I will be making this again for sure!
Outstanding Savoury Bread! Feta and Olive combo...what more can a Greek ask for LOL!!! I made recipe to the letter and it was AWESOME crumbly/savoury texture/taste....would recommend to go with your favourite WINE. Thanks Chef Ev's!!!