1 hr 5 mins
Posting for ZWT#6. From CookingLight contributor Suzanne Rumsey of Fort Wayne, Indiana who won $5000 for this recipe! What would YOU do if you won that money? :) A make ahead and time does not include chilling time. It says 8 servings but think they might be pretty small portions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (6 ounce) skinless chicken breasts, boneless
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, DIVIDED
- 1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 2 cups cucumbers, seeded cubed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup yellow bell pepper, cubed
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1/4 cup kalamata olive, pitted chopped
- 1To prepare salad, sprinkle chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- 2Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- 3Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- 4Add 1 cup broth; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until done.
- 5Cool; shred chicken.
- 6Discard broth.
- 7Bring 3 cups broth to a boil in a large saucepan; add barley.
- 8Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 9Fluff with a fork.
- 11Combine chicken, barley, cucumber, and next 4 ingredients (through olives) in a large bowl.
- 12To prepare dressing, combine 3 tablespoons oil, rind, and remaining ingredients; stir well.
- 13Add to barley mixture; toss well.
- 14Cover and chill.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Chicken and Barley Salad
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 223.2
- Calories from Fat 74
- Total Fat 8.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 28.6 mg
- Sodium 596.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 1.5 g
- Protein 14.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-fat feta cheese