Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 mins
Posting for ZWT#6. From CookingLight contributor Suzanne Rumsey of Fort Wayne, Indiana who won $5000 for this recipe! What would YOU do if you won that money? :) A make ahead and time does not include chilling time. It says 8 servings but think they might be pretty small portions.
- 2 (6 ounce) skinless chicken breasts, boneless
- 1⁄8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups chicken broth, DIVIDED
- 1 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 2 cups cucumbers, seeded cubed
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1⁄2 cup yellow bell pepper, cubed
- 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- 1⁄4 cup kalamata olive, pitted chopped
- 3 tablespoons light extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- To prepare salad, sprinkle chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Add 1 cup broth; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until done.
- Cool; shred chicken.
- Discard broth.
- Bring 3 cups broth to a boil in a large saucepan; add barley.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Combine chicken, barley, cucumber, and next 4 ingredients (through olives) in a large bowl.
- To prepare dressing, combine 3 tablespoons oil, rind, and remaining ingredients; stir well.
- Add to barley mixture; toss well.
- Cover and chill.
This salad was just wonderful and filling (if you eat a bit more than the 'serving size'. I also added red onions and omitted olives (dont like them), increased the feta a bit. The flavours all come together well for a filling and healthy meal!
I can see why this won a prize, it's delish! I love the citrus in the dressing, in fact, I doubled the dressing. I also added some finely chopped red onion and used red and yellow peppers as that is what I had in the garden that I needed to use up. Oh, also used regular fat feta, cuz that is what we like. : ) I could see making this with tuna instead of the chicken as well. A great summer dish, thanks for posting, WiGal.
Lovely and fresh and good for you! I had cooked the barley the night before and bought a rotisserie chicken, so this recipe literally came together in minutes. Everything was so good - filled you up without stuffing you up. Thanks for a great recipe.