This is a deceptive recipe: quick and easy to make with a simple ingredient list but which really delivers the flavor. What more could you want from chicken and potatoes? I find one large lemon yields just about 1/4 cup juice. This recipe makes 4 servings, but my husband and I eat this easily between the two of us.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Place chicken, potatoes, and garlic in a 9 X 13 inch glass baking pan.
- Mix well to get everything evenly distributed in the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the chicken bouillon over all.
- Whisk olive oil, lemon juice and crumbled oregano together.
- Pour evenly over chicken and potatoes.
- Bake approximately 30-35 minutes until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are tender and golden brown, basting occasionally with pan juices.
Super. Actually made this in the crockpot because I didn't have the right kind of baking pan. After about 4 hours on the high setting, chicken breast was so moist and tender and potatoes were so rich, some crispy. Being in the crockpot also, I didn't have to baste it. Wonderful combination of ingredients.
Wow I read through a lot of reviews before I made this, and they were all mostly right. Up the garlic cloves. Parboil the potatoes first, especially if you're using A) glass pyrex to bake and B) boneless chicken breasts. A little extra lemon zest or slices wouldn't hurt, and neither would a dash of onion powder. I used chicken tender cutlets and they seemed to be the perfect size.
I LOVE the flavor of this dish, but I have to say it would be much better marinated overnight. The flavor didn't have enough time to permeate the chicken. :( Also, I can see how people would think this is bland... if you mind your potatoes and meat being the same flavor. Next time I will just cook the chicken this way, and roast the potatoes or serve with fresh green beans, etc.
Everyone in my family will actually eat this and that's saying a lot! I did add feta to the top and covered with foil for 45 mins, then took it off for the last 10 mins. Had to add cooking time b/c potatoes were not done. This has become a weekly favorite for us!