Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 30 mins
A hearty, chunky soup. Most of the cooking time is inactive simmering.
Make and share this Greek Chicken Soup - Kotosoupa recipe from Food.com.
For the Broth
- 1 whole chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 lbs
- 2 -3 celery ribs, with leaves cut in half
- 1 onion, peeled
- salt and pepper
For the Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- crumbled feta cheese (to garnish)
- Clean the chicken and remove skin and excess fat.
- Add 8 cups of water to a large pot and put in the chicken, celery, onion, salt, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, for about 45 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and set aside to cool.
- Then use the spoon to discard the celery and onion.
- Carefully strain the broth through a fine sieve and reserve. If you de-fat the stock, you may refrigerate overnight and scoop off the fat before continuing.
- Heat the olive oil in the soup pot and add the onions, carrots, celery, and potato. Sauté until tender, 5-10 minutes.
- Return the broth to the pot and add the diced tomatoes, and orzo.
- Simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes. If the vegetables are not cooked through, simmer until they are.
- While the soup is simmering, separate the meat from the carcass. Dice the chicken and return the meat to the pot. If you need to add more liquid, use some water or canned chicken broth.
- Add the salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve sprinkled with Feta cheese and crusty bread.