1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A hearty, chunky soup. Most of the cooking time is inactive simmering.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the Broth
- 1 whole chicken, 3 1/2 to 4 lbs
- 2 -3 celery ribs, with leaves cut in half
- 1 onion, peeled
- salt and pepper
For the Soup
- 1Clean the chicken and remove skin and excess fat.
- 2Add 8 cups of water to a large pot and put in the chicken, celery, onion, salt, and pepper.
- 3Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, for about 45 minutes.
- 4Use a slotted spoon to remove the chicken and set aside to cool.
- 5Then use the spoon to discard the celery and onion.
- 6Carefully strain the broth through a fine sieve and reserve. If you de-fat the stock, you may refrigerate overnight and scoop off the fat before continuing.
- 7Heat the olive oil in the soup pot and add the onions, carrots, celery, and potato. Sauté until tender, 5-10 minutes.
- 8Return the broth to the pot and add the diced tomatoes, and orzo.
- 9Simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for about 45 minutes. If the vegetables are not cooked through, simmer until they are.
- 10While the soup is simmering, separate the meat from the carcass. Dice the chicken and return the meat to the pot. If you need to add more liquid, use some water or canned chicken broth.
- 11Add the salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- 12Serve sprinkled with Feta cheese and crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Greek Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Chicken Soup - Kotosoupa
Serving Size: 1 (500 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1010.5
- Calories from Fat 544
- Total Fat 60.4 g
- Saturated Fat 16.2 g
- Cholesterol 243.8 mg
- Sodium 520.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 64.0 g