Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From the Centennial Bar & Grille in Mequon, WI (and my mother-in-law).
Make and share this Greek Chicken Soup With Feta Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white sambuca liqueur
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed peppercorn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 dashes hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3 cups washed and chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 8 -10 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese (to garnish)
- In 4-quart saucepan, saute onion, carrots, bell pepper and garlic in oil over medium heat until vegetables are tender.
- Add Sambuca and lemon juice and saute 5 minutes.
- Add broth, chicken, peppercorns, white pepper, hot pepper sauce, celery salt and spinach. Simmer 20 minutes.
- Add cooked rice.
- Before serving, sprinkle each serving with about 1 tablespoon cheese.
This is my favorite chicken soup recipe. It requires a good number of ingredients, but it's worth it. I pretty much follow the directions, except I add a little more sambuca (to taste), and my husband does not eat spinach or cheese, so I divide the soup in half at that point, and add half the amount of spinach to just my half of the soup, and garnish my portions with the cheese. This is a great winter comfort food.