Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Another recipe I made when I was learning to cook and trying to impress the boyfriend who is now my DH! I really like this dish a lot, and add lots more lemon, pepper, garlic, and oregano, but that's my taste! I've also added parboiled, quartered potatoes at the start, and really like the artichoke hearts and potatoes together. Adapted from Betty Croker's New International Cookbook.
- 2 1⁄2-3 lbs chicken, cut into pieces or 2 1⁄2-3 lbs your favorite mix of bone-in skin-on chicken pieces
- 1⁄2 cup fruity olive oil
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup lemon juice (I love it really lemony, but you may prefer less lemon to start...can always add more!)
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pepper (I use fresh ground black)
- 1 -4 clove chopped garlic, to taste (I use way more)
- 1 can artichoke heart, quartered (NOT marinated)
- lemon slice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry.
- Put chicken in 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients (except artichoke hearts and lemon slices) and pour evenly over chicken.
- Cook uncovered, spooning juices over chicken occasionally, for about 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Remove the pan from the oven, scatter artichoke heart among the chicken, and spoon cooking juices over them.
- Continue to cook for about 20 minutes more, basting once or twice more, until chicken is done (juices run clear when the thickest part of the largest piece is pierced).
- Remove pan from oven, garnish with lemon slices and a final quick grind of pepper, if you like, let rest about 5 minutes and serve.
What an EASY and HEALTHY recipe... not to mention delicious. I used 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut in half (6 pieces total) and pounded to 1/2-inch thickness. I baked 20 min on one side, then turned them and added two cans of artichoke hearts and baked for 15 more mins. Served over white rice. I will make this many more times. Thanks for a great recipe that even my toddler enjoyed! :-)
My family really enjoyed this dish. I reduced the olive oil to a little less than 1/4 cup and it was delicious. I cooked it longer than the recipe called for also. Very simple to prepare and the artichokes were very tasty in it. Thanks for posting.
We loved this. I followed the recipe exactly (I used closer to 1/2 cup lemon juice). Next time I will add more artichoke hearts. They were so good. And I think the potatoes would also be a good addition. We'll definitely be making this again. Thanks for the recipe.