Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These cookies were served at every church function and holiday meal as I was growing up. They are really lovely with a nice cup of tea. This is taken from one of my mother's favorite Greek cookbooks, "The Complete Book of Greek Cooking, The Recipe Club of St. Pauls Greek Cathedral".
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whip butter until white.
- Slowly add sugar, vanilla, and brandy.
- Gradually add flour, 1 cup at a time.
- Shape cookies by rolling into balls (about the size of a meatball), then gently press your thumb into the top of the cookie and twist slightly.
- This will help flatten the cookie just a bit.
- Place cookies on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the cookies are sand colored.
- Sift confectioner's sugar onto a large sheet of wax paper.
- Upon removing cookies from oven, carefully place on sugar and sift additional sugar to cover the tops and sides of cookies.
Thanks Heather for posting this recipe, it brought back so many memories from when my Ya Ya use to make these. I did add a tad bit of cloves and used cognac instead. They turned out just delicious and as good as Ya Ya use to make.