Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
A rustic country cornbread. This is a savory version. Sweet versions have a syrup poured over them.
Make and share this Greek Cornbread With Cheese - Bobota Me Tyri recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 cup grated kasseri cheese or 1 cup substitute gruyere cheese
- 1 cup grated kefalotyri or 1 cup substitute parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal (fine)
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter, cut in 1/4 inch pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Traditionally, this is baked in a 12" round pan. You may use a 9"x13" pan.
- Grease the sides and bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Combine the wet ingredients (yogurt, Kasseri cheese, Kefalotyri cheese, oil, eggs, and lemon juice).
- In another bowl, sift together the cornmeal with the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until it is a soft, batter-like dough.
- Spread the batter in the pan and smooth with the spatula.
- Sprinkle with the Feta cheese and scatter the pieces of butter evenly over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until it is a deep golden brown. If it gets too brown before the 40 minutes are up, cover with aluminum foil and continue baking.
- Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.
I was surprised at how easily this recipe came together. The corn bread had a great consistency. I wasn't crazy about the taste but my daughter really enjoyed it. She said it tasted like an asiago bagel. :) Thanks for this unique recipe! ~Made for Zee Zesties during the ZWT6~
excelent! made during ZWT&