Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
from the WW website, here for safekeeping.
Make and share this Greek Eggplant and Chicken Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium raw eggplants, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb ground chicken breast
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 2 medium garlic, clove(s) minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, fresh, chopped
- 1⁄3 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄3 teaspoon chives, dried
- 1⁄3 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon table salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 28 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons canned tomato paste
- 3⁄4 cup soyakaas grated parmesan style soy cheese
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat a 9 X 13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- Lay eggplant slices on paper towels and sprinkle tops with 3/4 teaspoon of salt. Let stand 20 minutes to draw moisture out.
- Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned, breaking up meat as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes more. Add fresh parsley, dried herbs, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and stir to coat. Cook 1 minute, until herbs and spices are fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and tomato paste and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until sauce thickens, about 15 minutes. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and set aside.
- Off heat, coat surface of same skillet with cooking spray and set pan over medium-high heat. Wipe salt from eggplant slices with paper towel and add eggplant to hot skillet. Cook, until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side.
- Arrange half of eggplant slices on bottom of prepared baking pan, slightly overlapping pieces to cover entire surface of pan. Top eggplant with chicken mixture and then top chicken with 1/4 cup of grated topping. Top with remaining eggplant slices and remaining 1/2 cup of grated topping.
- Bake until top is golden brown and filling is hot, about 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes, slice into 6 pieces and serve.
I made this with chicken legs and without the soy cheese as that was what I had in the house. Delicious!! Helen