Caroline Cooks's Note:
A leetle taste of Greece right at home. Adapted from Gourmet. Add some cooked spicy sausage for a complete meal, if desired.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -3 small eggplants, peeled & cut into 1/2 -thick rounds or 2 -3 medium eggplants, peeled & cut into 1/2 inch -thick rounds
- olive oil, divided
- 1 large leeks (white and pale green parts only) or 5 -6 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
- 1/3 cup romano cheese, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Greek oregano
- 1 double crust pie crust
- 1Sprinkle eggplant with salt and drain in a colander 30 minutes; pat dry.
- 2Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot; fry eggplant in batches, adding about oil, if needed and turning once, until tender and golden brown, 5 -7 minutes.
- 3Drain on paper towels and cool to room temperature.
- 4Wipe skillet clean.
- 5Preheat oven to 375° with rack in middle level.
- 6Halve leek/green onion lengthwise and thinly slice.
- 7Cook leek in 1 tablespoons oil in skillet over medium heat until golden, 5-7 minutes.
- 8Add garlic to release fragrance; sauté about 2 minutes.
- 9Transfer to a bowl.
- 10Chop eggplant; add leek-garlic mixture with egg, cheeses, nuts, oregano, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Place one crust pie shell in 8”or 9" pie plate. Reserve remaining for top;.
- 12brush lightly with oil.
- 13Spread filling evenly in shell; cover with remaining pie crust and brush with a little olive oil.
- 14Cut several slits in top (to vent) and bake until golden brown, 45-50 minutes.
- 15Let stand 10 minutes before slicing into wedges.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Eggplant and Walnut Pie
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.3
- Calories from Fat 342
- Total Fat 38.0 g
- Saturated Fat 12.2 g
- Cholesterol 68.1 mg
- Sodium 612.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.2 g
- Sugars 5.5 g
- Protein 17.2 g