Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A well traveled family friend gave us this recipe and we have always loved making this comfort food. A small fresh salad and fresh fruit in season usually goes with the pie. You could also use ground chicken or turkey instead of beef. If you are unable to find tomato sauce with roasted pepper just use 24 oz tomato sauce and 1/2 cup chopped marinated sweet red pepper.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (25 ounce) jar tomato sauce with roasted red pepper
- 3 teaspoons all purpose Greek seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon all purpose Greek seasoning
- 2 1⁄2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) package feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Cook ground beef in a large nonstick skillet, stirring until beef is no longer pink; drain & discard grease.
- Cook zucchini, onion, and garlic in skillet, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender.
- Add ground beef; stir in pasta sauce and 3 teaspoons Greek seasoning. Cook over low heat until thoroughly heated.
- Pour beef mixture into a lightly greased 3-quart round baking dish.
- Stir together mashed potatoes, remaining 1/2 teaspoon Greek seasoning, crumbled feta cheese, lemon rind, and lemon juice. Spoon potato mixture evenly over beef mixture.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes.
- serves 8.
As a huge fan of Greek foods and flavors, I loved this! I used a 50/50 blend of ground beef and lamb, used my own Greek seasoning, My Big Fat Greek Seasoning, and added a little nutmeg. Thanks for sharing your great original recipe!
Delicious. Everyone went back for seconds. I had to make a few subs in this, such as ground pork instead of ground beef, since it was what I had, and garlic powder since I was out of cloves. It turned out really good anyway! I'll be sure to try it again as written. The feta in the mashed potatoes was just yummy. Thanks for posting.
LOVED IT! I try to make a recipe exactly as it is posted the first time I make it...unfortunately I only had Bertoli's Olive Oil & Garlic sauce so I used that. I used Cavender's Greek seasoning for the Greek seasoning. My husband & I both liked the added flavor that the feta cheese, lemon rind & lemon juice gave the mashed potato topping. I will definitely make this again and look for the tomato sauce with roasted red pepper to use in it. Thanks for posting!