This comes from a Frugal Gourmet cookbook. I'm posting it for ZWT 6. Greece Note: Add up to 1/2 lb. of your choice of shellfish.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 (1 lb) canspeeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb whitefish boneless fillets
Any or all of the following
- clam, rinsed
- mussels, scrubbed clean and rinsed
- squid, cleaned and cut into 1/2-inch circles
- Heat a 6 quart heavy stockpot and add the oil, onion, and garlic. Saute until they are clear, about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, except the seafood, and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce is rich and full-flavored, about 1/2 hour.
- Add the fish and shellfish in the order given, giving each variety a moment to cook. The clams will take longer than the squid.
- Serve in bowls with hearty bread and a salad.