You can substitute frozen spinach for the fresh spinach, but I think fresh is the best. Also if you like things a bit spicy, try adding 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper or 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper. Another recipe from Brenda Walsh. Posted for ZWT 4.
- 1 medium onion, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 11 teaspoons basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon mckay's vegan chicken seasoning (this is a vegan chicken seasoning but if you aren't vegetarian you can use regular chicken seasoning)
- 5 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 cup black olives, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fettuccine, uncooked
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until tender. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is clear.
- Add remaining ingredients except for spinach, olives and pasta. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add fresh spinach and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in olives and serve over fresh, hot pasta.