1/1 Photo of Greek Fricassee of Lamb
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 50 mins
This is a fricassee as done in Greece - finished with an egg-lemon sauce (avgolemono). It is wonderfully delicious, and soul-satisfying...at least it is for us Greeks!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs lamb shoulder, cut into 6-8 pieces, trimmed of fat
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 4 -5 romaine lettuce, lettuces leaves separated and washed, cut crosswise into 2-inch thick pieces (Swiss Chard can also be used in place of lettuce)
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, minced (please don't even think of using dried)
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 lemons, juice of
- 1In a large Dutch Oven, heat the olive oil till smoking and in it brown the pieces of lamb (you may have to do this in 2-3 batches) until golden-brown all over.
- 2When all the pieces are browned add onion, garlic, water and wine (you could use just water if you wanted to) and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, or until meat is very tender.
- 3Add lettuce and dill. You may have to cram it into the pot but it will reduce to practically nothing. Put the lid on the Dutch Oven and cook for 8 minutes. Remove lid, stir carefully not to break up meat and cook another 2 minutes. Turn off heat.
- 4In a large, heatproof bowl, whisk together eggs, cornstarch and lemon juice.
- 5With a ladle, remove ladlefuls of the cooking liquid the meat and lettuce have cooked in and VERY slowly whisk it into the egg/lemon mixture. Keep doing this until, whisking all the while, until you have incorporated most of your cooking liquid - this tempers the egg-lemon sauce so it won't curdle when added to your lamb.
- 6Pour all the sauce into the pot, covering the lamb and lettuce. Turn heat up to medium-high and just bring to the boil. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- 7Dinner is ready. Have lots of crusty bread around to sop up the delicious avgolemono sauce.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Fricassee of Lamb
Serving Size: 1 (985 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1129.2
- Calories from Fat 702
- Total Fat 78.0 g
- Saturated Fat 30.1 g
- Cholesterol 288.4 mg
- Sodium 278.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.1 g
- Sugars 11.2 g
- Protein 62.6 g