This thick Greek garlic sauce makes a yummy dip to be served with vegetables, pita bread,or along with fish or chicken. Don't use a food processor or an electric mixer, which can make potatoes gluey. Adapted from Garlic, Garlic, Garlic: More than 200 Exceptional Recipes for the World's Most Indispensable Ingredient, by Linda and Fred Griffith.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 "- 1/4-inch cubes
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg yolk, makes a firmer dip (optional)
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more
- extra virgin olive oil, if needed
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons champagne vinegar or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- fresh ground white pepper
- 1Cover potatoes with water in 3-quart saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2Reduce heat to low and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3Drain, rinse with cold water and mash thoroughly.
- 4Meanwhile, put garlic and salt in a large wooden bowl and mash with a pestle until a paste.
- 5Gradually add potatoes and mash them with garlic.
- 6If mixture is still hot, let cool 15 minutes, then add egg yolk, if using, and heartily mash in with a wooden spoon.
- 7Alternating olive oil with lemon juice and vinegar, gradually add both to potato mixture, mashing.
- 8Add pepper, and using a fork mix briskly until very smooth.
- 9Mix in more olive oil(or even some water), a little at a time, if sauce is too thick to use as a dip.
- 10Spoon into a container and store, covered, in refrigerator. It will keep for about 1 week.
- 11Bring to room temperature several hours before serving.
- 12Spoon into a bowl and serve with fresh vegetables and/or pita for dipping. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Garlic Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (1001 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.9
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 115.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: