1/1 Photo of Greek Garlic Sauce (Skorthalia)
Great on hot or cold seafoods and fried or boiled vegetables.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Pound garlic with 1/2 teaspoon salt in a mortar until smooth.
- 2Add mashed potatoes and continue to pound and stir with pestle.
- 3Soak bread (crusts removed)in cold water and squeeze dry.
- 4Add to potatoes and garlic, pounding and stirring until smooth.
- 5Gradually add olive oil, lemon juice and vinegar, stirring vigorously.
- 6When smooth and light, add salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Chill in a covered bowl before using.
- 8Variation: Replace bread with 1/2 cup ground almonds or walnuts, or use 1 1/2 cups of ground almonds or walnuts instead of the potatoes and bread.
- 9Blender method: Put all ingredients in a blender and blend at moderate speed until ingredients are pulverised. Sure beats all that pounding!
- 10Increase speed for a few seconds until light and smooth. Do not blend for too long for the mixture heats and the oil separates.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Garlic Sauce (Skorthalia)
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 488.2
- Calories from Fat 336
- Total Fat 37.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 2.1 mg
- Sodium 489.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 4.5 g