Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a sort of rustic version of Spanikopita or Greek Spinach Pie. It can be made with spinach or any green you like, or even a combination. Instead of a phyllo dough crust, the crust is made from corn meal and akin to polenta.
- 2 lbs spinach (or use combination, if using packaged baby spinach only 1 pound is needed) or 2 lbs chard leaves (or use combination, if using packaged baby spinach only 1 pound is needed) or 2 lbs beet leaves, stemmed and washed (or use combination, if using packaged baby spinach only 1 pound is needed)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup of fresh mint, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup fine cornmeal (sometimes called corn flour)
- 1 cup water, as needed
- If using spinach, it needs to be steamed 1 to 2 minutes to wilt; chard or beet greens need to steam 3 to 4 minutes to wilt.
- Transfer wilted greens to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking; squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- Chop and set aside in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat and cook the onion, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes; add green onions and cook another minute.
- Stir in the greens and chopped herbs; season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- Stir in the feta cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; oil a 10 inch round baking dish or cake pan.
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and 1/2 cup water to a simmer, over medium heat; add salt and slowly stream in the cornmeal while stirring with a whisk or wooden spoon to prevent clumping.
- Continue to stir until the mixture thickens like polenta.
- Remove from heat and spread half the mixture in your prepared pan in a thin, even layer; spread the greens over the cornmeal in another even layer.
- Dilute the remaining cornmeal with water until it resembles wet sand then stir in the remaining oil; spoon over the greens and smooth into an even layer (don't worry if it doesn't completely cover the greens).
- Bake until the top is browned, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Remove and let sit for 30 minutes before cutting to allow the crusts to set up.
- NOTE: You can make this several hours before serving and heat in a slow oven. It is also good at room temperature. It will keep, refrigerated, 3 days.
Love this -- it's been my dinner for the last three days! I had a Costco-sized (2.5 lb) bag of spinach to use up, so I just threw the whole bag in. I used white cornmeal for the crust, and I added an extra handful of feta for good measure. This is particularly good reheated and topped with some tomato sauce (I've been using Cpk Thick Tomato Sauce). Definitely a keeper, thanks for posting! Made for The Hot Pink Panthers for ZWT9 Family Picks
This is such a unique (at least to me, anyway) dish that delivers on great flavor! It looks more complicated than it actually is, and is relatively simple to put together. The cornmeal crust was very different and really made this special. I made this exactly as posted, using rainbow chard. I also have to say that it's very good hot or cold, and is a great option as a brown bag lunch or picnic food. Made by a Tasty Tester for ZWT9.