1/3 Photos of Greek Greens Pie
1 hr 30 mins
This is a sort of rustic version of Spanikopita or Greek Spinach Pie. It can be made with spinach or any green you like, or even a combination. Instead of a phyllo dough crust, the crust is made from corn meal and akin to polenta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs spinach (or use combination, if using packaged baby spinach only 1 pound is needed) or 2 lbs chard leaves (or use combination, if using packaged baby spinach only 1 pound is needed) or 2 lbs beet leaves, stemmed and washed (or use combination, if using packaged baby spinach only 1 pound is needed)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup fine cornmeal (sometimes called corn flour)
- 1 cup water, as needed
- 1If using spinach, it needs to be steamed 1 to 2 minutes to wilt; chard or beet greens need to steam 3 to 4 minutes to wilt.
- 2Transfer wilted greens to a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking; squeeze out as much moisture as you can.
- 3Chop and set aside in a large bowl.
- 4In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium heat and cook the onion, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes; add green onions and cook another minute.
- 5Stir in the greens and chopped herbs; season with salt and pepper and toss well.
- 6Stir in the feta cheese.
- 7Preheat oven to 375 degrees F; oil a 10 inch round baking dish or cake pan.
- 8In a medium saucepan, bring milk and 1/2 cup water to a simmer, over medium heat; add salt and slowly stream in the cornmeal while stirring with a whisk or wooden spoon to prevent clumping.
- 9Continue to stir until the mixture thickens like polenta.
- 10Remove from heat and spread half the mixture in your prepared pan in a thin, even layer; spread the greens over the cornmeal in another even layer.
- 11Dilute the remaining cornmeal with water until it resembles wet sand then stir in the remaining oil; spoon over the greens and smooth into an even layer (don't worry if it doesn't completely cover the greens).
- 12Bake until the top is browned, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- 13Remove and let sit for 30 minutes before cutting to allow the crusts to set up.
- 14NOTE: You can make this several hours before serving and heat in a slow oven. It is also good at room temperature. It will keep, refrigerated, 3 days.
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Greens Pie
Serving Size: 1 (371 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.7
- Calories from Fat 168
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 33.7 mg
- Sodium 454.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 13.0 g