Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The Greeks are very proud of their honey, particularly the kind flavoured by the nectar from wild thyme. A wide selection of flavoured honey is available in specialty and health stores.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Add just enough water to form a smooth thick batter. Then blend in lemon juice and brandy. Allow batter to stand for 15 minutes.
- Preheat deep fryer to 325°F or heat oil in a deep saucepan until it begins to smoke.
- Drop batter, 1 teaspoons at a time, into oil, cooking 3 fritters at once. When fritters swell and turn golden brown remove and drain on paper towels in a warm oven.
- Pour honey into an enameled saucepan, add cinnamon, lemon juice and enough warm water, about 2 tablespoons to form a syrup. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Arrange fritters on a warm platter, pour a little honey syrup on each one and sprinkle with walnuts. Serve at once. Serves 6 or more.
- From the Kitchens of the World . A Canadian Feast.