Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Posted by request. I have not tried this particular recipe.
Make and share this Greek Kataifi Pastries recipe from Food.com.
For the Kataifi
- 1 1⁄4 lbs unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups very finely chopped almonds
- 1 1⁄2 cups very finely chopped walnuts
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 (1 lb) box kataifi pastry
For the Syrup
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Brush jelly roll pan with melted butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together almonds, walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Mix together egg, cream, and melted butter.
- Stir into nut mixture.
- To prepare rolls, take a handful of pastry, and spread it out to about 6" long.
- Brush liberally with melted butter and place a tablespoonful of nut filling on bottom of pastry.
- Roll up tighty, gathering in loose ends as you go.
- Place seam side down on buttered pan.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and filling, trying not to let sides touch each other in the pan.
- Brush tops of completed pastries with melted butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees F.
- for about 1 hour, or until nice and golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes.
- While pastries are baking, prepare syrup.
- Mix together sugar and water in medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar dissolves, then add lemon juice and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Allow syrup to cool completely before pouring over pastry.
- Spoon syrup over hot rolls and allow to rest for several hours before serving.