You can prepare, shape and score, wrap tightly and freeze up to 3 months. When ready, place it seams down on a large baking sheet. Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces lean ground lamb or 8 ounces lean ground chicken
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 (6 ounce) package soft fresh goat cheese, chevre
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 12 sheets frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- ground nutmeg
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F In a medium skillet, cook ground meat and onion over medium-high heat until browned. Drain off fat. Stir in cheese, spinach, milk, lemon peel, salt and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- 2Unroll phyllo, cover with plastic wrap. Remove one sheet and lightly brush with butter. Place a second sheet on top; brush with butter. Add four more sheets, one at a time, brushing each with butter. Spread half the filling over the phyllo stack, spreading to within 3 inches of long sides and 1 1/2 inches of short sides. Fold short sides of phyllo over the filling. Fold one long side of phyllo over filling, then roll up. Repeat to make second roll.
- 3Place phyllo rolls, seams down, on a large baking sheet. Brush with remaining melted butter; sprinkle with nutmeg. Score the tops, making cuts 1 inch apart and 1/4 inch deep.
- 4Bake 15-18 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 15 minutes, slice on the scored lines.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Lamb and Cheese Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (44 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 113.1
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 18.4 mg
- Sodium 144.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 4.6 g