Pokey in San Antonio, TX's Note:
I spent a lot of time in Greece and this was by far my favorite dish. I love it served on a hot pita with marinated onions, tomatoes, and feta cheese; all topped with garlicky tzaziki sauce. I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but I've been making it for years with great success. Serve with fried calamari and French fries. Make a lot of tzaziki so there is plenty for dipping. Time to prep does not include the very important marinade time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano leaves
Guest of Honor
- 3 lbs lamb
- 4 tomatoes (cut into wedges)
- 2 onions (cut into strips)
- 1/2 lb feta cheese (cubed)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 2 tablespoons dill (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups yogurt
- 1/2 cup cucumber (peeled, seeded, grated)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1For the marinade: Combine first 8 ingredients.
- 2Cut lamb up into 1/2" thick, 1" wide, 3" long strips.
- 3Pour marinade over lamb and chill overnight. Turning occasionally.
- 4For the veggies: Combine the next 10 ingredients and let chill over night.
- 5Skewer meat. If using wooden skewers, soak for an hour in water first. About 8 slices per stick.
- 6Prepare grill. Add wood chips. Any type will do.
- 7Grill until meat is done, brushing often with marinade. Meat should be brown around the edges, but still a little pink in the center. Don't dry the meat out.
- 8Serve with warm pita. Guests should wrap a warm pita round the meat and pull the skewer our, then top their "taco" with marinated veggies, feta, and tzaziki.
- 9For the tzaziki: Place the yogurt in cheese cloth. Twist to bind and squeeze the yogurt. Place in colander over a bowl to drain for an hour or so.
- 10Peel and slice a cucumber down the middle, and spoon out the seeds.
- 11Grate the cucumber. Squeeze out as much juice as you can.
- 12In a bowl, mix the yogurt, cucumber, garlic, oil, salt, mint, and lemon juice. Let chill a few hours (over night is best).
- 13For the pita: Buy pita flat bread (whole breads without the pocket).
- 14Mix olive oil with paprika.
- 15Brush each piece on both sides with a little of the olive oil.
- 16Place on hot griddle and warm thoroughly (about a minute or so on each side).
- 17Serve warm.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Lamb on Skewers (Souvlaki)
Serving Size: 1 (460 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1438.4
- Calories from Fat 883
- Total Fat 98.1 g
- Saturated Fat 25.7 g
- Cholesterol 164.3 mg
- Sodium 1977.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 52.6 g