Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- peanut oil (for brushing)
- 1 lb lean ground lamb (I have used beef or chicken mince too)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 ounces fresh spinach leaves
- 1 (10 ounce) packet phyllo pastry
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease a 8 1/2 in springform pan.
- Fry the mince and onion in a dry nonstick pan until golden.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, mint, nutmeg and seasoning.
- Bring to the boil, and simmer, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Wash the spinach and remove any tough stalks, then cook the leaves in only the water clinging to them for about 2 minutes.
- Drain the leaves well and then mix through the meat mixture.
- I sometimes add 1/4 lb of crumbled feta at this stage.
- Lightly brush each sheet of phyllo pastry with oil and lay in overlapping layers in the tin, leaving enough over hanging to wrap over the top.
- Spoon the meat and spinach mix in then wrap the pastry over to enclose.
- Scrunch up any remaining pastry into balls, and place over the top of the pie.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds and then bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- I like to let this cool a little, and serve it with a green salad.
This was very good. I used extra lean beef, frozen spinach, dried mint and added the feta. Yummy!
Quick recap of what I learned: 1) AMAZING RECIPE each time I make it. 2) Have done it in pie plate or also doubled recipe and made in 9 x 13 pan...great success with both. 3) Cook spinach seperately and drain, otherwise too wet in final dish. 4) I used pine nuts and feta (both, one or other) all with great results. 5) Serve with the yogurt sauce (I will insert number after I post this) for a GREAT bonus to this recipe.