This is one of those stews that's perfect for a cold night in. Normally lamb stews are done with red wine, but this one uses white - works very well, too. The wine was semi sweet Reisling so the stew has a very slight sweet taste too.
- Season flour with salt and pepper and roll lamb cubes in it.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium high heat, brown lamb cubes in oil.
- Sprinkle herbs and garlic over lamb and add roughly chopped onion, stock, wine, and tomato sauce.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer over medium heat for 1-1/2 hours, stir now and again - it has a tendency to stick (although not burn).
- Add olives, simmer for half an hour more.
- Serve with rice, potatoes, salad, bread, whatever you like. And rest of the wine bottle, of course.