3 hrs 15 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
Pa. Hiker's Note:
From a Greek Orthodox church's food festival. I always enjoyed it, and I hope you will. The lamb makes this different from normal stuffed peppers. NOTE: If you don't like the tomatoes, use 8 bell peppers and substitute a 14.5 oz can of stewed tomatoes for the pulp (you will still have to mash them).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large bell peppers
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lamb
- 1/2 cup rice, parboiled (if instant don't parboil)
- 2 tablespoons greek mixed spice (McCormick makes one, see recipe if you can't find it)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 2 (29 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1Slice tops from tomatoes and peppers and clean, save them.
- 2Remove pulp from tomatoes and reserve.
- 3Put tops in baking dish and place veggies on top of them (keeps them from burning).
- 4Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon sugar in each.
- 5Heat 1/2 cup butter in large frying pan and saute onion till transparent.
- 6Add meat and stir.
- 7Add rice, spices**, and 1 cup tomato pulp (mashed).
- 8Cover and cook 15 mins, allow to cool.
- 9Mix breadcrumbs into meat mixture.
- 10Fill vegs and remainder of tomato pulp (mashed) on top of stuffing.
- 11Pour tomato sauce and enough water to bring fluid level to 1/2.
- 12Bake in oven at 350 deg for 2-1/2 hours.
- 13Check periodically to see that water hasn't dried up in pan, add more water if needed.
- 14** If you don't have Greek spices combine 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon parsley, and 1 teaspoon mint. This will be close, adjust the parsley and mint to taste.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Lamb Stuffed Bell Peppers and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (508 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 435.4
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 62.2 mg
- Sodium 1341.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.6 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 20.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: