Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 5 mins
From The Ultimate Rice Cooker Cookbook. The combination of dill and lemon is seen throughout Greek cooking, and is wonderful! The authors call for using a 6 cup rice cooker, but I've had no problems using my 3 cup model. Cooking time includes 20 minutes resting time for the rice. This can also be made with brown rice- just increase the chicken stock to 2 2/3 cups.
- Coat the rice bowl with cooking spray.
- Add the rice and stock to the bowl.
- Set the machine for the regular white rice cycle and start.
- When the machine switches to keep warm, let it sit and steam for 10 minutes.
- While the rice steams, heat the olive oil in a small skillet, then add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until soft.
- Add the pine nuts and cook, stirring constantly until they turn golden (just a minute or so).
- When the 10 minutes of steaming are up, add the onion and pine nut mixture to the rice, along with the lemon juice, dill, and mint (if using). Stir with a plastic rice paddle or a wooden spoon to combine.
- Close the cover and continue on 'keep warm' for 10 more minutes.
- Transfer the rice to a serving dish, and top with the feta and lemon wedges.
This rice dish was very tasty, and easy to make! The flavors of lemon, mint and dill were lovely, and the addition of pine nuts made it even more tasty. A winner!
I made about half of the recipe, but used quite a bit more dill. This was a delicious and easy way to dress up rice.
Delicious! I needed to use up some red onion, so added that instead. I really liked the addition of the mint, albeit I had to use dried. Look forward to using the fresh next time. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag game. :)