Cook1 hr 30 mins
From The Book of Greek Cooking (present from my second cousin.)Sometimes I get a craving for this and it hits the spot.(The sauce isn't supposed to be as lumpy as I made it in the picture. I forgot to stir it!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- Place half of the butter, lemon zest and oregano inside the chicken.
- Melt remaining butter in a casserole dish.
- Add chicken and brown all over.
- Pour in lemon juice,stock, salt, pepper and remaining oregano.
- Cover casserole and roast 75-90 minutes or until chicken is cooked and the juices run clear.
- Transfer chicken to a heated dish.
- Measure 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- Whisk eggs and lemon juice.
- Gradually whissk in hot cooking liquid.
- Place bowl over a pan of simmering water and heat gently, stirring until sauce is thick and smooth.
- Place sauce over carved chicken.