1/1 Photo of Greek Lemon Chicken
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
From The Book of Greek Cooking (present from my second cousin.)Sometimes I get a craving for this and it hits the spot.(The sauce isn't supposed to be as lumpy as I made it in the picture. I forgot to stir it!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 tablespoon oregano, fresh (Chopped)
- 1 (4 lb) whole chickens
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 2Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C).
- 3Place half of the butter, lemon zest and oregano inside the chicken.
- 4Melt remaining butter in a casserole dish.
- 5Add chicken and brown all over.
- 6Pour in lemon juice,stock, salt, pepper and remaining oregano.
- 7Cover casserole and roast 75-90 minutes or until chicken is cooked and the juices run clear.
- 8Transfer chicken to a heated dish.
- 10Measure 1 cup of the cooking liquid.
- 11Whisk eggs and lemon juice.
- 12Gradually whissk in hot cooking liquid.
- 13Place bowl over a pan of simmering water and heat gently, stirring until sauce is thick and smooth.
- 14Place sauce over carved chicken.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Lemon Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 537.1
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 269.2 mg
- Sodium 251.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 2.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 37.2 g